History of Locust Grove
The Historic Estate of George Ball, known as Locust Grove in Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada. Originally Built in 1784 on a 1200 acre estate granted by the British Crown to George Ball, one of the original settlers of Upper Canada. The House was burned down by the American forces on December 16, 1813 during the War of 1812, and rebuilt on the same site in 1820. The present structure was rebuilt with five courses of brick 18 inches thick and using 88,000 clay bricks which were fired on the property in 1820.
The house had 2 additional fires, one in 1904 and one in 1934. The second fire subsequently destroyed the georgian style roof and doric columns. The old roof and columns were removed and altered structure was put in its place. The House was used until 1985 by the Virgil Bible School and Eden Christian College. First as a Schoolhouse and later as a student Dormitory for 40 students. The House was abandoned for 15 years at which time it was purchased by Jens Ramputh.